Frequently Asked Questions - Volunteer Opportunities
This section includes some answers to frequently asked questions that might come up as you use this website.
- How do I find volunteer opportunities?
- How do I search and sign-up for volunteer opportunities registered on this site?
- Can I keep track of my volunteer service through Long Island Volunteer Center?
- What if I have questions about a volunteer opportunity and want them answered before I sign up?
- What if a project I want to sign-up for is full? Can I be placed on a waitlist?
- How do I remove myself from a project I can no longer attend?
- Can I bring along a friend or family member without them signing up or being part of a volunteer team?
- Are minors able to volunteer? What is LIVC's policy regarding youth volunteerism?
- I work at a nonprofit organization and have a question. Where can I find the answer?
1. How do I find volunteer opportunities on this site?
2. How do I search and sign-up for volunteer opportunities?
Video: How to Search and Sign-Up for Volunteer Opportunities
**Note: Click on outward facing arrows located at bottom right of video to view video in full screen.**
Yes. Once you create a volunteer account with Long Island Volunteer Center, your record of volunteer service is tracked and can be accessed at anytime. Attendance at LIVC's managed opportunities (Sign Up opportunity) is logged by the Volunteer Leader, allowing for an accurate volunteer record to be maintained for every registered volunteer. For opportunities managed by our Nonprofit Partners (Express Interest opportunity), our processes do not currently track these service hours.
To access your volunteer history:
- Log in to your volunteer account.
- Click on My Account. Toward the bottom of the page you will see the section Volunteer History with Long Island Volunteer Center.
- You can download and print out your volunteer record anytime by clicking on Download Full History (PDF) at the bottom of the page.
- Volunteers are not able to alter their volunteer history or add non-LIVC volunteer opportunities through the site. If you see a mistake in your volunteer record, email email@example.com. You can request a formal Verification of Service letter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org at least five business days in advance of when you need the letter.
At the bottom of every volunteer opportunity page, there is a link to email the Opportunity Leader. By clicking on this link, you can email your question(s) directly to the opportunity leader. If you do not hear back within 2-3 days please email email@example.com.
Yes. When a direct sign-up opportunity is full, volunteers can still sign-up for the opportunity and their name will be placed on a waitlist. If a space frees up for that opportunity, any volunteer who has signed-up and been placed on the waitlist will be notified by email that a space has opened.
The space available is filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Volunteers on the waitlist should not show up to the project unless they sign up into an open volunteer space.
If you cannot attend a volunteer opportunity that you signed up for, it is important to remove yourself from that opportunity so that other volunteers are able to sign-up into your spot. To remove yourself from an opportunity: Log in to your volunteer account. Click on My Account Click on Remove Me from the opportunity you are not able to attend.
No. All volunteers must either be registered and have signed up for the opportunity as an individual volunteer or be a member of a volunteer team that is signed up for the opportunity. This policy helps ensure that the Volunteer Leader can appropriately prepare for the opportunity and so that our tracking of volunteer participation remains accurate.
While LIVC's opportunities are always suitable for volunteers who are 18 and older, many of our opportunities are also open to minors. Please email us for more information.
Please visit our For Organization section for more information about partnering with Long Island Volunteer Center.